Recent LRIGS News
- Salt affected soils and their relationships with plant communities on reclamation well sites Student: Laura Bony Degree: MSc Supervisor: Dr. M. Anne Naeth Date: September 18, 2020 Time: 1:00 p.m. …Read More »
- Restoration of Sagebrush Grassland For Greater Sage Grouse Habitat in Grasslands National Park, Saskatchewan Student: Autumn Watkinson Degree: PhD Supervisors: Dr. M. Anne Naeth and Dr. Shelley Pruss Date: June …Read More »
- Sharing the history of LRIGS and future steps. Lights, camera, action! A film crew recently visited campus to showcase the University of Alberta’s Land Reclamation International Graduate School (LRIGS) after …Read More »
- LRIGS PhD program participant Alison Murata will be presenting her defense seminar on Monday, September 23. Topic: Long term dynamics and potential remediation of fine textured soils and ground water …Read More »
- LRIGS PhD program participant Valerie Miller will be presenting her defense seminar on Wednesday, September 18. Topic: Development of Soils for Revegetation in Northern Diamond Mines Supervisor: Dr. M. Anne …Read More »
- Very proud to be the recipient of the post secondary education Emerald Award for LRIGS’s efforts to develop future land reclamationists and reduce our footprint on the planet. Director, M …Read More »
- LRIGS is a finalist in the Education: Post-Secondary category for the 28th Annual Emerald Awards. The Emerald Awards recognize and celebrate outstanding environmental achievements across all sectors in Alberta. Please …Read More »
- “Alberta’s story of advancement in land reclamation over the last five decades deserves telling.” LRIGS Director M Anne Naeth with other pioneers in the land reclamation industry, Leonard Leskiw, Terry …Read More »
- On 1 March the United Nations recognized the critical role of ecosystem restoration as a tool for improving environmental conditions and enhancing human communities by designating 2021-2030 the UN Decade …Read More »
- Federico Riva, past LRIGS participant and post-doctoral fellow with the Department of Renewable Resources, is featured in the University of Alberta online magazine Folio, with his research into cranberry blue …Read More »
- Alberta Innovates has an opening for a Senior Manager Environmental Remediation and Restoration. To view the posting please click here.Read More »
- Salix Resource Management Ltd. is looking to hire an intermediate environmental consultant and an environmental consultant.Read More »
- Tuesday January 29, 2019 8:30 AM – 9:30 AM MST The Society for Ecological Restoration (SER) has launched a new membership category for Students and Emerging Professionals (SEP). SER recognizes …Read More »
- In 2019 we look forward to welcoming new participants to the program. Participants can be studying or conducting research in any area related to land and water reclamation including biological, …Read More »
- Former LRIGS MSc program participant, Mark Donner, has successfully completed his PhD studies and will be presenting his PhD defense seminar on Thursday, December 6. Natural and anthropogenic inputs of …Read More »
- LRIGS PhD program participant Nilusha Welegedara will be presenting her defense seminar on Monday, November 26. Modelling Short and Long-term Effects of Soil Cover Depth on Tree Growth and Productivity …Read More »
- Prem Pohkarel, a Land Reclamation International Graduate School graduate, wins an international honour, the 2017 Western Association of Graduate Schools (WAGS) Proquest STEM Award, for solving an oil sands reclamation …Read More »
- Syncrude Canada Ltd is looking to hire students currently enrolled in a post-secondary undergraduate program for the following positions: Chemical Engineer Research and Development, Chemical Engineer, Computer Science Research and Development, Electrical/Computer Engineer, Geologist, Geotechnical Engineer, Geotechnical Lab, Heavy Equipment Operator, Project Engineer Calgary and Project Engineer.
- Syncrude Canada Ltd is looking to hire students in the positions of Geologist and Hydrogeologist. You can apply for either position online at http://www.syncrude.ca/careers/current-opportunities/online-job-listing/
- Check out some photos from the March 9, 2016 LRIGS panel discussion on the future of land reclamation.
- Syncrude Canada Ltd is looking to hire a student environmental scientist. http://www.syncrude.ca/careers/current-opportunities/online-job-listing/
- East Coast Aquatics, based in Nova Scotia, is looking to hire Restoration Biologist/Ecologist.
- Parks Canada and LRIGS researchers are looking for volunteers to help restore Greater Sage Grouse habitat in Grasslands National Park.
- Check out the LRIGS spotlight article on Kate Melnik here.
- Check out the LRIGS spotlight article on Scott Wilson.
- Check out the LRIGS spotlight article on Sebastian Dietrich.
- Check out the LRIGS spotlight article on Muhammad Arshad.
- Our University of Alberta partners in the Alberta Centre for Reclamation and Restoration Ecology (ACRRE) are periodically releasing research notes connecting science to best practices. Recently added notes (# 7 - 11) summarize some work by Drs Scott Chang, Simon Landhausser, Vic Lieffers, Ellen Macdonald, M Anne Naeth and Scott Nielsen; Ms Cassidy Van Rensen and Mr Tim Vinge.
- LRIGS Researcher, Dr Mark Poesch, is working with various energy companies in Alberta to monitor newly-created compensation lakes and their suitability for transplanted fish populations.
Check out our archives for past news and events.